Saturday, July 3, 2010

Well thats a way to spend a Saturday!

So today is Saturday, there was a bike race within 30 mins of my house, what do you think I did this afternoon?? This was an ABR race hosted by project 5 racing, which excited me. It meant that I could draw a sword and clash with the 3's today after my 4's race. What I didn't know is that a crash in the 4's would combine the 1/2/3 field into one talented field, scored separately (more on this later)

I was accompanied  by my teammate Mike Meyers, this would be the first time he turned the pedals in anger all season (I now owe Phil Liggett a nickel for use of his favorite saying) 


Cat 4's Race

Mike and I took the line and I felt good. The Chicago boys were in the house, Sean and Q of Project 5, Joe and Rob of Psimet and Bryan Fuller of Bicycle Haven. Not to mention an army of Tower Racing fellows in their sharp new kits The course was very similar to Sherman Park (no turns) however it was in a neighborhood. I love a neighborhood race where the front yards are filled with people watching the sport I love for the first time and that was the case today.

The race wasn't the most exciting race ever but good enough. Without corners it was more about if you could do a long burning effort as opposed to the constantly sprinting out corners like I did at ToAD. So when they called the first prime about 5 mins in I went for it. I attacked about 3/4 of a lap from the finish. I fizzled out and the pack caught me about 150 meters from the line (better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all (word of wisdom from a veteran racer).

I decided I would sit in for the rest of the race and see what I could throw done the in the sprint. Sean and Q of project 5 (our gracious host for the day) took fliers and each held they gap for about 2 or 3 laps. These are guys I like racing with so if they can hold an extended break I was willing to concede the win and go for it in the field sprint. So with one to go we were all together. I knew I needed to move up, and I did but I moved way too far up. I was know on the front dragging the field around the course on the last lap.... not a good thing. I really didn't know what to do so I figured I would ride a steady tempo until I saw guys come around me and try to grab a wheel and take it to the finish. This seemed like a good plan, until it actually happened. Guys swarmed me on each side and when I got out of my saddle it was over. I didn't really have a kick left. I rolled in 19th, another top 20, but I wanted more today.  Mike rolled in one spot behind me, well done sir!

Great learning experience, lessons are noted and I will take it to the start line next time I line up.

1/2/3 Race (the big boys)

So whenever I have an opportunity to test myself against what I consider superior racers I jump at the opportunity. So I was excited about throwing down with the 3's today. The surprise that the 1/2's would joining us was pretty exciting. I mean there was some fire power at the line. Cesar from Iron Cycles, Luke of CBR fame, Ryan Freund of VzW and ToAD Stage winner (his photo graces the month of July on my CBR calender which hangs in my kitchen) and a guy from Helen Cycles who had raced the entire ToAD Pro series.

So we started, and I quickly realized that I was still in my small ring! This could quickly become an issue, but after a couple failed attempts to shift up to the big gear I was there. I was at the back of the pack so I needed to move up. It was easy to move around on this course so I quickly found myself  towards the front of the race. It appeared that the Helen Cycles racer was making a move about 2 laps in, I thought what the hell, I'll give it a go. We got a little off the front but we were quickly pulled back. (goal one of the day was to make an attempt to get in a break, check).

I was actually pretty tired at this point. The 1/2's races are crazy when guys are trying to get a break off the front. After several failed attempts to form break a group of about 8 or so got clear including Ryan, Luke and Cesar (I think Q was in there too). After a few laps of chasing the gap had grown and the group was out of sight. I thought the pace had slowed so I asked the xXx racer next too me "did we just concede the break?" He replied "yep" I said, "Thanks, I'm new to this having a break up the road, that doesn't happen in the 4's". At this point I didn't have aspirations on a strong finish. For me a pack finish behind the break would be an incredible accomplishment.

I took a pull or two. I could the Helen Cycles racer was getting frustrated, so pulled through again and took my last pull and moved myself to the back of the field. With 1 to go I tried to find a comfortable spot to hang out, and then it got hot! I mean really hot!!! These guys fly. I was quickly was funneled to back and realized I wouldn't be sprinting today. I rolled in with the pack and a smile on my face. The congrats from my friends after the race was my reward. I would be re-missed if i didn't mention Alex from the Recycling Team, he was a great familiar wheel to follow all day, which really helped ease my nerves.

I rolled around the course to cool down and chatted with Luke, I was so proud of what I had just accomplished and I am pretty sure it was written all over my face. Looking back at today I realized just how far I have come in a year, it actually makes me kind of emotional to think about. I have always loved sports but until I found cycling I was never really able to compete at a high level in any of them but thanks to countless hours in the saddle I can push myself farther than I ever imagined.   

I took one more lap around the cousre and made sure to thank all the locals for letting us race in their neighborhood.

(Now I am getting on my high horse) Everyone should be doing stuff like this, as races disappear from the calender with greater frequency we as a cycling community need to do everything we can do be good citizens where ever we race. The responsibility lies with each racer to be an outstanding citizen and give back to this great sport.

Big thanks to Chip Gray for coming out and rolling around with the 4's after his master races in order to help our team by coaching us through the race, you are constantly giving back to a group of young racers and it doesn't go unnoticed. 

Also thanks for all the encouragement from the sidelines during the 1/2/3's race, it was amazing to hear.

6 comments:

  1. Awesome racing mate. Always great to ride along side you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it was so much fun, i really wish i would have followed you through for that break, i was just so tired! did they just abuse each other up there?

    let me know where i can find pictures from yesterday.

    Congrats again, top 10 with the big boys is no small feat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Andrew, Thanks for the great write-up. I agree with you wholeheartedly about making sure we do everything in our power to keep our races and to give back to our internal community. Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am jealous - you've raced with a pro field before me!

    Nice work getting up in the mix in the 4's race. Keep doing it and your results will improve quickly. You will get used to the nuances, how hard to ride at the front, what to do not to get swarmed, all that stuff. Fitness is important but being used to staying at the front is just as critical.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm almost there, hopefully I can get something going towards superweek.

    If you want to race up categories all you need to do is come to an ABR sanctioned race, its call you cat racing which is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nice job in the 3's, I hear there's some video of the 4s finish?

    ReplyDelete