Friday, June 18, 2010

ToAD day #1 - Thiensville Fiddleheads Coffee Criterium

These updates (lets call them race reports) may be a bit short but I am doing to try and do one of these for each of ten races over the next week and a half.

First race was in Thiensville which is more or less where i grew up (grew up in mequon but whats the difference right, just ask the people who live in mequon they will tell you) It was a pretty simple four corner crit. The field was about 45-50 deep, not racing a ton in Wisconsin many of the riders were unfamiliar, but I would expect by the end of the weekend its going to be clear whose wheel to follow.

The race started and I struggled to clip in (see every race report), the pace was brisk on this hot, hot Friday. I have recently been plagued with a crashing problem, as such my nerves are a mess and every turn seemed to be a slow dance around the curb. Followed by a extreme acceleration time and time again but thats crit racing isnt it? In turn two about 20 mins into the race my teammate was run off the road into a resident's yard. The resident arose from his chair and yelled "Get off my lawn!!!!" Okay so that didint happen but it makes for a better race report. He calmly regained his position within the pack about a lap later. The plan was to get Bryan a win today (he will also be a guest blogger throughout ToAD), but I couldn't do anything to help. It sucks when you have a plan and you can't execute.

The race was actually pretty boring, primes were again being handed out like condoms at a post prom party hosted by Mark Churma. (Thanks to Extreme Ski and Bike for the generosity with the primes)With 5 to go I really wanted to move up but found I couldn't. I need to overcome these nerves tomorrow. With 1 to go a small gap formed between myself and the pack, I regained my pack position going into turn 2 and I thought I could make a jump to the inside and help spring Bryan but I botched the turn and the rest was history, I rolled across with a poor showing (officially DNP). The good part is that I have another shot at the game tomorrow, and the next day and the next day... this is going to be a fun week or racing my bike.

Now I have to get some rest before I head over to watch the pros rip that course apart, chance of rain could add some intrigue, so if you are in the area come check it out; "I'm not saying I'm just saying!"

Thanks to today's cheering section, always good hearing your name.

No comments:

Post a Comment