Monday, March 15, 2010

"Did you just call me fat?" Kenosha Velosport 3-14-10 Cat 4's and Cat 3's

(picture credits: Liz Wolfson Kimezich)

Its Sunday, we ain’t got shit to do, we might as well race right? That's right the 2010 Road Racing Season kicked has started.

After a day of green beer and jayhawk basketball (rock chalk, who is the number 1 overal seed again? oh yeah we are) Sunday started off a little hazy, but after a cup of coffee and some girl talk on the speakers I knew I was ready to go race my bike. Three spidermonkeys made the trip to kenosha to take part in the 31st annual Kenosha Velosport training crit. Andrew Zens and Bryan Witry took part in the 4's and the 3's (you got to love ABR) and Ben Levitt took part in the 3's (thanks to ben for the video of the 4's). The course was a flat .7 mile loop around an industrial park (with a sweet smoke stack to boot).

The 4's race started with racers attacking off the front to test their legs (including bryan on lap 2 and me on lap 3), all attacks had the same result, they died on the back stretch as they went straight into the 20mph wind. The race progressed and for the next 20 mins the same routine repeated its self, speed up with the wind at our back and slow down when we hit the wind. With about 5 laps to go racers, including myself, started positioning themselves for the finish. it was about at that time this conversation took place:

One of the junior IS corp riders asked me: " is the wind was tough with those zipps?"
I replied "no"
he said  "i am getting blow all over the course"
i replied, "i am not really having that problem"
he commented "well you have a little more weight than i do".
I replied "did you just call me fat" and then he rode away. That’s right a 14 year old told me I was a fat kid, wow!

With two laps to go I made sure to tuck in to the front of the pack. With a half lap to go I attacked into the fierce head from about 8 wheels back and yelled at bryan to grab a hold of my wheel and come for a ride. Little did I know this violent attack had split the group. As I peddled in anger the gap grew and then i finally exploded and pulled off as i yelled to bryan  "attack" i hoped my efforts would pay off. Indeed they did as spidermonkey cycling notched its first top five of the season as Bryan crossed the line 4th. Teamwork was the key in this race and to accomplish a team move in March in a 4's race was a big accomplishment. Can't wait to do it all again next week, maybe we can even convince Dan to sober up and come race too…..

The Cat 3's started 10 mins after the 4's, i hung for 20 mins until the legs said 'no mas" it was a good plan to race twice but the attack in the 4's emptied the tank.

A big thanks to Kenosha velosport and ABR for a great day of racing.


1 comment: